Monday, April 2, 2007

Our Green Life


I have always been very interested in environmental issues, but I have been especially concerned about it since I have become a mother. It seems like each month I come up with more ways to "green" our household. These are the things we currently do to keep green: We eat organic foods as often as possible, we buy produce from a company called "Grow Alabama" which supports local organic farming. We are in the process of changing all our lightbulbs to compact flourescents. We use cloth diapers and cloth baby wipes. We have recently switched to cloth napkins and we try to use as few paper towels as possible in the kitchen. I try to remember to take my canvas bags to the grocery store, even though they look at me like I have 2 heads! We compost kitchen scraps and we recycle or reuse everything we possibly can.

Hopefully I can add more to this list in the near future! Please note that when I use the term "we" I mean that I insist on it and Eric is nice enough to support my decisions. He knows that I only have our best interests at heart!

I have also adopted a natural approach to parenting. Of course there is the cloth diapers which I have already mentioned, but I also make most of my own baby food (organic whenever possible!), I have also recently discovered the joys of babywearing which is totally addictive! There is nothing in the world like having your little one snuggled up so close to you!

My other current obsession is photography! Eric just bought me a great camera and the pictures I have taken with it so far are awesome! In fact, one might be published in a newspaper in the next week or so. One habit I am about to change is not printing my pictures. Most of my photos only live in my computer, so I am going to start printing and framing them. Who knows, I may even start doing a little digital scrapbooking too!

3 comments:

Christi said...

This is a beautiful picture, Heather.

Unknown said...

Thanks! It is my favorite so far with my new camera!

Be Self Disciplined said...

I love your blog. You're a wonderful writer and photographer. Excellent work. Tell the family hello for me. Love ya'll!