Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Getting into Shape


Having 2 kids in the last 3 years has really taken its toll on my body. (Which, to be perfectly honest, wasn't that great to start with!) Anyway, I am now really in need of getting myself back in shape (other than round). This summer we are planning to take a big hiking trip on a little budget, and I couldn't be more excited, we will most likely take the kids with us for our first big family vacation. I know that I will most likely be hiking long distances with Lucas on my back - unless of course he has surpassed Erica in weight by then, which is entirely possible! At any rate, one of them will be on my back as we hike in a higher altitude than we are used to, so I really need to be able to handle that or we will be in for a disappointing vacation.

I have joined some other local women who also have some baby weight to drop and we are all chipping in $10, the bulk of which will go to the person who loses the highest percentage of their body weight, with a little money for the 2nd place winner. Anyway, I am hoping that the prospect of free money will help to motivate me! I have recently read the book "Body Clutter" by the Flylady and the Dinner Diva, which is mostly about loving yourself enough to do the work it takes to lose weight. I am losely following the eating plan from the "Sonoma Diet" but I plan to have pizza and cake for Erica's birthday this week and I won't feel bad about it (that's where flylady's thinking comes in)

I know my biggest obstacle is exercise. I know I need this to be successful and that weight loss without exercise won't prepare me for my trip, but the thought of getting the kids organized and out the door for a walk around the neighborhood is exhausting to me! That is just something I need to get over though, because I am not joining a gym, nor would I have time to go! I do enjoy taking walks after dark by myself, but sometimes that isn't easy either when Eric gets home really late, which happens a lot since he works so hard.

OK, well there it is, to sum up, I need to eat better and exercise to get in shape for our trip this summer and to be healthier in general, which is really funny because I really am somewhat of a health nut!


A note: this picture was taken when Erica was 17 months old, and way before we had Lucas!

3 comments:

Christi said...

Ok, let's team up. Maybe we could meet at the park, let the bigs play then put them in the strollers, put the babes on our backs and WALK, FAST! Wanna??

Unknown said...

I'm game Christi, but I have to warn you, I only have 2 walking speeds, mozey and stop, but I'll try to keep up!!

Be Self Disciplined said...

I'm pulling for you on this one!!! You gotta win that money! I mean...talkabout motivation. I wanna help too (if I can). Much love!!