Tuesday, April 3, 2007

No, I Don't Want Paper OR Plastic!

Why is so hard for people to believe that you don't want their stinking grocery bags?!? I have started taking my own canvas bags to the grocery store recently and I have come to terms with the fact that people look at me like I am crazy, but why can't they just put the stuff in the bags without trying to force "just a few" plastic bags on me. One day they even wrapped something in a plastic bag and stuck it down in my canvas bag. Uh, Hello! Don't you get that the reason I brought canvas bags is because I don't want your plastic bags? Even today, when I went to the grocery store the girl thought I was absolutely crazy for refusing bags. I had 2 items that wouldn't fit in my canvas bags, but they were a gallon of milk, which has it's own handle, so it is just as easy to carry without a bag, and a BAG of tortilla chips, which as I just stated were already in a bag. Why should I put a bag in a bag? That's just silly! I understand maybe if I was carrying my groceries to the car, but I was going to push them out in a buggy, so how would a bag have helped me any? Thank goodness our Whole Foods store just opened. They actually give you money back for each bag you bring! Now that's a good idea. I'm sure more people would bring their bags if they could save money by doing so! While I am on the subject, the lady at the fabric store looked at me like I had lost my mind when I said that I wanted to carry my stack of fabric instead of putting it in a bag. Yes, I had a few small items, which I balanced on top until I got to my car and stuck them in a bag I had there to keep them from rolling around the car. I guess the moral of my story is that shopping without grocery bags CAN be done and maybe if more of us start doing it, it will gain more mainstream acceptance. Will you join me?

4 comments:

BGK said...

Did you make your own bags?

I usually just get plastic :-( but "recycle" them as gabage liners. Thanks for giving me something to consider.

Unknown said...

Thanks Greasy Joan for being the first one to comment on my blog!
I don't make my own bags, but I have been thinking about learning how. I just have random bags that I have collected from here and there. I am usually too cheap to buy them. I bought 2 green bags at Whole Foods the other day for $1.99 each, but I ended up putting my recyclables in them!
I reuse the plastic bags I do get, but I find that I collect them faster than I can use them! I always keep my Target bags though and often steal them from friends and family because they fit my kitchen trash can just right, and again, I am too cheap to buy trash bags!

Christi said...

I have a WF bag and another bag that I have yet to use. I will join you.

L said...

How's this: I asked for paper bags the other day. The bagger forgot and put them in plastic. Then he remembered, and started to put the plastic bags inside of the paper bags. I was like, "no-- it's okay!" But he insisted. So I got to waste BOTH kinds of bags.

I've really been wanting to go canvas for awhile. I just need to do it.